Mrs Dodds, Mrs Sivarajan, Mrs Jenkinson along with Mrs Grantham, Mrs Bell, Miss Carter and Mrs Gill welcome you to Year One.
For the whole of the Summer Term, we are going to be looking at the topic “Around the World in 80 Days”.
Philleas Fogg will be our guide. We are going to be looking at different countries around the world. Alongside this we will be looking at our local area and the seaside, both in the past and present. Throughout our journey, we will be looking at the weather in each of the different countries and looking into the culture. All of our literacy work will link with our topic.
During our maths sessions we will be investigating and trying to solve problems based around the following areas:
* Money – recognising coins and notes
* Measuring – length, height, capacity and weight
* Addition and subtraction – including missing number questions
* Multiplication and division for the 2, 5 and 10 times tables
* Understand and record time in minutes, seconds and hours
We will also continue our mental maths (CLIC) sessions each week, looking at number and allowing the children to become more confident with numbers.
The “Beat That” test will now be completed towards the end of the week. The children will continue to bring this home to share with you. They are all making improvements and scoring better each time.