Skip to main content

Your Views and FAQ’s

Below are some questions that parents and carers often have. If you are unsure of anything, the Inclusion Team are always willing to listen to your concerns.

We are in the process of creating an online feedback questionnaire. 

Q: What do I do if I am worried that my child has special educational needs?

A: If you think your child may have a special educational need that has not been identified by the school or early education setting, you should talk to your child's class teacher, to the Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) or to the Headteacher. They will be able to tell you about the Trust's policy for special educational needs, the support and resources that your child's school can provide and help available from outside the school.

Q: What is the assessment process for an EHCP?

A: A parent or carer, early years education setting or the school can request the local authority to carry out a statutory assessment and a decision to assess or not will be made by the local authority. When a request is made the child will have demonstrated 'significant cause for concern' and the school should provide the local authority with a record of the interventions and work with the child including the resources or special arrangements that have already made available. If there is insufficient evidence or it is considered that the needs of the child can be met by the school, a decision may be made not to proceed with statutory assessment at that time. The local authority's SEN Panel considers all requests.

Q: What is a Graduated Response?

A: Early education settings and schools place great importance on identifying special educational needs (SEN) early so that they can help children as quickly as possible. The graduated approach recognises that children learn in different ways and can have different levels of special educational need. So increasingly, a step by step, specialist expertise can be brought in to help the school with any difficulties a child may have. Where this is appropriate, a child will receive graduated support. This usually starts with the school providing support at the first stage called SEN Support.

Q: What is a Termly Support Plan (TSP)?

 A: A Termly Support Plan (TSP) is drawn up by the class teacher to help the parent and the school identify the child's needs and to target areas of particular difficulty. TSPs are usually linked to the main areas of language, literacy, mathematics and behaviour and social skills. 

Q: What are Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)?

A: The term special educational needs and disabilities has a legal definition. A child with SEND will have a learning difficulty or a disability that will make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. A child with SEND  may need extra support or help that is different to that given to other children. A child with SEND  may need extra help because of a range of needs, such as thinking and understanding, physical or sensory difficulties with speech and language or how they relate to and behave with other people.

Q: What is SEN Support?

A: When a class teacher or SENCo identifies a child with SEND they should provide support that is additional to or different from that is provided as part of the school's usual differentiated curriculum. The school must tell you when they first start providing extra or different help for your child because of their SEND and they must keep you informed of your child's progress.

Q: What is SEN Support +?

A: If your child is still not making enough progress in school, the class teacher or the SENCo should talk to you about seeking advice from other people outside the school. At this stage, the school may seek advice and support from external services, both those provided by the council and outside agencies e.g. Specialist Teacher, Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapy (SaLT) or Health Professionals.

Include Me

c/o Swanland Primary School, Tranby Lane, Swanland, East Yorkshire, HU14 3NE

Telephone: 01482 631300 Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Useful Information