Dunswell children are generally very good attenders and timekeepers!
However, in order that school may follow national guidelines, we offer you clear guidance, below, on how you should proceed when your children are either absent or late.
All absence from school requires:
1. A telephone call to the school before 9:15am on the morning of each day's absence. By calling every day, we can be sure of your child’s whereabouts and that they are safe.
2. Should you receive a text message advising you that your child has not arrived in school, please telephone us.
3. Upon your child’s return, written and signed confirmation, explaining the absence, preferably using the ‘Absence Note’ form (downloadable from the school's website) or available from the school office.
Authorised absences are as follows:
- Illness (supported by written confirmation from parent/carer). Please note: If your child has been absent owing to sickness or diarrhoea they must not return to school until they have been clear from either for at least 48 hours. This is to ensure there is no risk of contagion.
- Medical/Dental appointment (prior notice)
- Close family funeral (approval in advance)
- Day of religious observance (approval in advance)
Please be advised that unexplained absences will be recorded as unauthorised. Unauthorised absences are not in the child’s best interest and are viewed negatively on their academic records. Five days continual absence owing to illness must be verified i.e. letter/certificate/ stamped and signed appointment card from the GP or bring in evidence of prescribed medication on return to school.
The responsibility of notification of an absence is with you, the parent/carer. However, we shall endeavour to operate a first-day absence check, whereby if a child is absent without the school's prior knowledge, the school will telephone or text the parent/carer asking for confirmation of the child’s absence. By operating this system we aim to ensure that children who have left home have arrived safely in school. To better facilitate this process, we would ask you to telephone the school every morning your child is absent. Messages may be left on the answer phone before 08:30 or you may speak with a member of the office staff from 8.30am.
Thank you for your continuing support, now and into the future.